Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Joss Whedon is my master



Ok, so color me optimistic. After reading a few dozen reviews on "Revenge of the Sith", I'm ... hopeful.

That said, I've never really put Star Wars at the top of my Sci-Fi pantheon. Lucas may be using Campbellian myth structure in his storytelling; but I'm not buying it.

Do I like the Star Wars movies? Yes I do. I even like the books (especially Stackpoles; great writer; but they are nowhere near my favorite.

I can't find the links right now but there are two weekly standard pieces I'm thinking ov; maybe by Matt labash.. anyway dissecting the themes of the starwars films and coming to the basic conclusion that the way Lucas is telling the stories the Jedi are jsut as bad as the empire.

It seems that so many Sci-fi writers, directors, creators in general are enamored greatly of what political philosophers (and writers of all stripes) know as "the perfect man".

In perfect man philosophy, the people are ruled by a pwerful government controlled by "the perfect man" or men in the case of the Jedi. THese men are kind, and wise, and not self interested etc...

Only what happens when the perfect man gets a bellyache?

I've never sympathised with the rebel alliance, because they are really fighting to restore a rule by elites; just of a different kind than the empire.

Well that, and they are all whiny little bitches.