Wednesday, April 19, 2006

An Update On My Mother

I'd been trying to reach my mother since last Friday, but didnt really think too much of it; there are times when they don't pick up the phone over there for a few days, and I figured if something was seriously wrong my brother would call me.

Of course, like the last time, I was wrong.

My mother had another stroke on thursday; either preceding or following a massive seizure during which she had multiple cerebral aneurysms (she now has over 10 unrepaired in her brain), and temoprarily lost the capacity for sight and speech.

She spent the weekend in the hospital, regained her speech and sight on Sunday, and was released Monday. I found out yesterday when she finally picked up the phone.

Even better, apparently the seizures, and the blood clots, have been damaging my mothers heart. They now believe there are several small perforations in her heart muscle. I don't have any further details on that yet, she's supposed to find out more later this week.

Additionally, she is schduled for a biopsy may first for the dark mass at the base of her brain, which is either amassive bloodclot, or a tumor (for some reason they can't tell).

My mother has entered the phase of her disaes the doctors refer to as systemic failure. Basically as each part of her gets worse, it stresses the other parts which get worse in turn until each system progressivley collapses, and she dies.

Again, they have no idea how long she has; or ven why she is still alive now. Aaccording to her doctors she should have died months ago.

Funny enough I spent all day Sunday fighting with various extended family members over... yes, my mother. They seem to be convinced that because my mother need a large amount of oxycontin to control the pain enpough so she does not die from it; that she is somehow a "drug addict".

Sometimes my family just kills me.