Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A painful object lesson

So after dinner, my oldest daughter comes running in the house crying, because the dog bit her.

Now, our dog is incredibly well behaved, and patient. He is very good around the kids, and he doesnt just snap for no reason. She had caught the edge of a nip, but because of her tender little hand she got a painful bite out of it, with two reasonable punctures.

I bandaged her up, and hugged her til she stopped crying; then I asked her why the dog bit her. Of course she didn't want to tell me, she just said "I don't know, I was trying to brush him and he just bit me".

Of course I know this isn't true, so I keep going. "Did the dog growl at you or try to get away from you before he bit you"... "yeah I guess". So I asked her sister "Yeah the dog growled and snapped at her" (she's three, but a smart little kid). I ask "did the dog snap at you and try to get away" ... "uh huh".

So I go out and see the dog, and he's gnawing on one of his bones; looks like he's been at it for a while. I'd say I know what happened.

See, the dog is very well behaved, but he has one issue: he's very food and mouth agressive. Clearly my daughter tried to force Mac to play with her, and Mac wasn't interested so she kept pushing him.

I asked her "Did you try to take the dogs bone away from him?"... "nuuuhh no"... "Tell the truth honey" ..."I just wanted to brush his hair".

She tried to take the dogs bone away from him, and he snapped at her, she did it again, and he snapped again, but this time her hand got caught.

She knew what she was doing, and she got caught at it, and now she has two little holes in her hand for the next few weeks as a painful object lesson.

In the immortal words of comedians everywhere "Well, she won't do THAT again".