Saturday, October 27, 2007

It's like trying to speak without vowels

So, as you might have noticed, I don't have any reservation about the use of profanity in my writing; and in general, in my speech in casual company for that matter.

Hell, I'm Irish, and from Boston. We use "fuck" as punctuation fer chrissakes. You should hear my father (born and raised in Ireland)... or even my grandmothers (both of whom are in their late 70s).

I know that this languange has in the past prevented several devout acquaintances of mine from either reading much or my writing, or from linking my site. It still keeps me off of the blogrolls of several sites I would otherwise be linked on.

Thing is though, it's a part of me, my personality, who I am; and I don't intend to change who I am just for a blog.

That said, I of course understand when it is appropriate to swear (in casual friendly company around people who are not offended by it), and when it is not (at work under most circumstances, around children).

Well, my wife has asked me in the past to try not to swear around the kids; and when it's jsut us and the kids that's generally not a problem. When I'm driving around a lot of morons, or when I'm with my friends and the kids are still in earshot... sometimes it just sorta comes out. At this point I don't so much say "fuck" all the time, as I do "Fuck.. oh, sorry".

She specifically mentioned it earlier today when our youngest daughter (age 4) spoke the phrase "Jesus fucking christ".

Well... at least it wasn't in church.