Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hallowed Be Thy Name



JohnOC and I, along with 84Charlie and a couple of his friends; all went to see Iron Maidens "Somewhere Back In Time" show at the Cricket Pavillion last night.

FRIKKEN AWESOME.

The show opened with Lauren Harris, Steve Harris's daughter; who was competent, but honestly, kinda ho-hum. I mean it was good, but it couldn't grab my attention enough to get me away from reading the novel I was wasting time with on my smart phone. She reminded me a little bit of Lita Ford, but not as kick ass, and with a filthier mouth (and yes, that's saying something).

Lauren played a 30 minute set (basically what's on her myspace page), and then they took a full half hour to turn over the stage; which was kind of surprising.

Maiden hit the stage just after 8:30, and pulled a full two hour set. Every song they played was a Maiden classic. No filler whatsoever, and as the tour companion album notes, the set was taken from the '80 to '89 period, excepting a couple.

I didn't write a full set list down, I'm just going from memory here. I've got all the songs, but they aren't in the exact order except the opener and closer.
  1. Aces High (including the speech)
  2. Two Minutes to Midnight
  3. Revelations
  4. The Trooper
  5. Wasted Years
  6. The Number of the Beast
  7. Run to the Hills
  8. Rime of the Ancient Mariner (a 20 minute version)
  9. Powerslave
  10. Heaven can wait
  11. Can I play with madness
  12. Fear of the Dark
  13. The Clairvoyant
  14. Iron Maiden
  15. Moonchild
  16. Hallowed be thy name
The whole show was played with an INCREDIBLE amount of energy. Bruce was running and jumping all over the place, and climbing all over the multilevel stage. Dave and Adrien were at their absolute best. Nicko and Steve kept it all together and hard charging. The production design was far less "theatrical" than past tours, but still fitting.

Seriously, it was the best show I've been to in a long time. I think BB Kings birthday concert a few years ago was as good, but nothing since then; and it would have to be Ozzfest in '01 for as good a show before that.

Unfortunately, none of my photos worked (my smartphones camera decided that it was out of memory no matter what I did), but this shot from Tokyo has the same wardrobe.


Next up, Judas Priest and Motorhead in August.