Thursday, August 28, 2008

Now that's a helluva storm

Whenever I run into a new transplant to Phoenix I always have to warn them about the weather. Monsoon season storms here are legendary.

A couple of weeks ago I met a woman who had just moved here from Cali. I warned her about the storms, and she replied, "oh those storms we had a few weeks ago? Those weren't so bad."

I told her she hadn't seen anything yet.

Current radar for Phoenix:

I haven't seen a storm this bad in years. High winds, lightning, absolute downpour, and hail. I got drenched in the minute and a half it took me to get the flag down and bring it in. I've lived here 23 out of my 27 years, and I know this kind of storm. Whole neighborhoods will lose electricity, ancient trees will break free and destroy houses and vehicles, idiots will try to cross usually bone dry washes in their 4x4s and have to be rescued or just get carried away by the floods. This kind of storm kills people annually, usually with the help of their own stupidity.

Chris and John are at the other side of the Phoenix metro area attending a concert. Those big red splotches are moving towards them. Word from Chris is that the storm is raging on all around them while Judas Priest plays, which I'm sure is an awesome experience.

I just hope they manage to get to the house without running into the idiots on the road.

Mel