Friday, December 26, 2008

Man and Wife

As of 5 o'clock this afternoon, Mel and I are legally man and wife.

For those who don't know, Mel and I had a commitment marriage (a private ceremony) three years ago; but were unable to get legally married because of her ex in Canada drawing out her divorce to a ridiculous degree.

The final divorce decree came down a few weeks ago (unfortunately we are still battling over custody), and we decided to get legally married as soon as we could conveniently do so.

Understand that Mel and I have considered ourselves married since we swore our oaths three years ago; but the legal acknowledgment of our marriage is important for many reasons (legal, social, personal).

The day after Christmas just seemed like a good time. My grandparents were married on New Years day, we're legally married the day after Christmas... an eventful time of year.

So, this afternoon we swore before god, our friends Kristina and John, and the state of Arizona (in the person of Justice of the Peace C. Steven McMurry) to love, honor, and cherish each other from this day until the ends of our lives.

McMurry is a short, stout, red headed and curly haired Irishman; with portraits of Kennedy and Reagan up on the wall (as he said, "the two Irish presidents"); and a laugh, a smile, and a real love for his job.

It's funny, but I thought of what my grandfather would think, me being married by a redheaded Irish judge (as he was, 55 years ago)... I think he would have loved it.

McMurry conducted a truly beautiful ceremony. In fact, if you choose to have a civil marriage in Arizona, I would seriously encourage you to seek out his services as officiant.

After the ceremony, we had a celebration dinner at the newly opened Fogo de Chao in Scottsdale; eating our favorite type of special occasion meal, Churrascaria (Hmmm, meat... lots and lots of meat).

I kind of like things this way. Quiet, just a couple of friends, in the most wonderful time of the year (and no, I don't mean that in any kind of funny or ironic way). It just feels right.

We're still going to have a catholic wedding when Mels' annulment comes through; but that will take up to two and a half years (18 months is the minimum). We'll be doing the big wedding thing then (well, we're going to try to keep it small, but still more than a few guests); but I'm more happy than I can tell you, to be legal married today.