Thursday, March 05, 2009

Wow, that really IS tiny...

Today the BBTOH brought me a special new toy.

About a week ago, Woot's deal of the day was a refurbished Asus Eee 2G Surf for a whole whopping $160.

We've been tossing around the idea of getting me a netbook for quite a while as I'd like something purse-sized with word processing software and an actual screen so I can write from anywhere. My preferred model, the HP1000, is a little pricey at $499 and we weren't sure if the entire concept of a netbook would even work for me. When we saw the Asus for such a low price, and in Linux no less (I love the Linux) we snapped one up. We figured that if we didn't like the feel of this (admittedly) limited laptop that the kids wouldn't object to taking it off our hands.

It is absolutely tiny.

Closed it is no bigger than most of the hardback books present in the household, and its quite light. It is seriously underpowered and limited but given that all I want to do with a really portable computer is surf the web and write, that's not a particular problem. The keyboard is incredibly tiny, but workable, and the screen is quite nice.

I have no idea what the real-life battery life is like, but I'll know soon enough.

In the meantime, I'm quite pleased with our newest computer and looking forward to giving it a good test run.

Mel