Tuesday, January 19, 2010

...and a revolution happens

Scott Brown is the senator elect from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

-30 to +5 in three weeks...

I cannot describe the kind of a change this is... Ted Kennedy held this seat from November 7th 1962, until his death in 2009... Almost 47 years...

The democrats have been calling this "Ted Kennedys seat" since his death... This is NOT Ted Kennedys seat, it is the seat of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

I have a personal connection here. I am a native of Boston, born and raised until I went to college (with some diversions into New Hampshire). Even deeper though, I come from a Massahusetts political family. My grandfather was politician in Boston, as was my great grandfather (a state rep, and delegate to the 1924 democratic election).

In 1976 my grandfather ran against Kennedy, as a conservative democrat, and of course lost. Soon after, he switched his allegiance to the Republican party.

My grandfather recognized then, that the politics of Kennedy and Carter were harmful to this country; and he made a principled stand, that essentially ended his political career (and many of his personal friendships; because he grew up in the streets, an Irish, democrat, union kid).

Today, 33 someodd years later, a man who believes... essentially as my grandfather believed in 1976 (excepting his pro-choice stance; my grandfather was a pro-life catholic 'til his death), is to be the junior senator from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

I can honestly say, I did not believe I would live to see this day.

I think this calls for a nice bottle of Taittinger.

Mr. Brown, I raise my glass to you...

May you have the wisdom, the intelligence, the courage, and the strength of will; to go to Washington, and do right by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the people of Massachusetts, and the American people.