Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What exactly is "underarmed"?

Caleb asks the only semi-satirical question:
"So, the question is whether or not you’re underarmed with a revolver. So, for example, the Kahr PM9 holds 6+1 with the standard magazine, giving me two rounds over a Ruger LCR in .38 Special."
I suppose it depends on what your definition of "underarmed" is for a given situation.

My pocket gun is a S&W 340pd, in which I carry full house .357. I also carry a useful knife, and at least one, and usually two reloads for the revolver (5 rounds in a dump pouch on my belt, and another 5 in a speed strip in my pocket; or sometimes 10 rounds in speedstrips) depending on what I'm wearing.

Frankly… if I get into a situation where 5 rounds of .357 in the gun, and another 10 in speed strips (which is still smaller and easier to carry than one spare mag) is “underarmed” well…

  1. I have made a SERIOUS tactical error
  2. I’m in a LOT more trouble than I have any business being in (middle of a gang war? Kidnapped by MS13?)
  3. Nothing short of a shotgun or defensive carbine are going to be helpful anyway