Thursday, September 06, 2012

Unintentional Truth from Biden

"Barack and I, we've been through a lot together these last for years, and one thing I've learned... I've learned about the enormity of his heart"

-- Joe Biden, speech in front of the 2012 Democratic National Convention

To quote my favorite film (and one of the internets most overused quotes):

"That word.... I do not think it means, what you think it means"

Enormity...

I realize a lot of folks might be making the same error that Biden did:
e·nor·mi·ty   [ih-nawr-mi-tee] noun, plural e·nor·mi·ties  
1. outrageous or heinous character; atrociousness: the enormity of war crimes.
So, Biden was telling the truth, through malapropism.

UPDATE: For those who go to certain dictionary websites and say "Wait, it's not a mistake it's an alternate definition", no, actually, it isn't. Some dictionaries have started listing it as such because so many people mistakenly use it.