Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Theater

Something came up in conversation today... and then again, a few hours later, with an entirely different person, who doesn't even know the other.

I figure that might be a sign I should share this.

The last time I was supposed to go to a concert, was the night my brother died (back in 2011).

I was driving down to see Joe Satriani at the Bing Crosby Theater in Spokane when I got the news.

My uncle David called me on the phone and said "Chris I'm so sorry"... and I had no idea what happened... I told him "What? Is it my mother?" (she had been very ill for a long time) and he said "Oh... no-one called you... You need to call your mother. Now".

Ok... So I called my mother... And found out my brother had died.

I was... stunned.

I pulled into the nearest bar, which happened to be Capones in Post Falls. I actually walked in, told the guy:
"My brother just died. I was driving and they called me and I pulled into the first place I could… I need a whiskey to toast my brother". 
The bartender ended up joining my wife and I, raising a glass for my brother.

Jack Daniels, Robs favorite, in his honor.

Never did go to the concert.