Thursday, April 22, 2010

Not Enough Gun

So now that we've moved to Northern Idaho, I've decided my carry gun is inadequate.

My carry piece is a Kimber Aegis 9mm 1911. I love it, I adore it, I couldn't be happier with it.

But 9mm ain't gonna do the job anymore.

Anyone who wants to pontificate on the wussy nature of 9mm, go right ahead, I'll ignore those comments like usual. I chose the Aegis for a reason; it was the best balance between weight, conceal-ability, power, and ability to do the job that I could find.

When I bought the Aegis, I had two major concerns: the ability to concealed carry, and the ability to take down my two biggest threats. I believe that my carry piece should also be useful if I get stranded on the side of the road. Arizona, and the route between our house and my dad's in particular, is full of desert and long stretches of wilderness. After human predators, my biggest worry was coyotes and the 9mm would take care of either. I also carried a Marlin Camp 9 Carbine in my vehicle for the same reason and for ammo commonality.

Now instead of long stretches of desert I drive through long stretches of forest. Instead of coyotes, I have wolves, and deer, and elk, and black bear. 9mm ain't gonna do it. I need something with more punch.

On top of that, this region is *mostly* empty of hoplophobes. Even the hippies carry guns here. I don't NEED to conceal carry anymore, so ability to conceal is no longer an issue. I can carry as much gun as I want without worries, without calls to police, and without being pestered with anything more than, "hey, whatcha carrying? I'm carrying such-and-such." The only time I need a small handgun is when I'm going to the mailbox or going into Spokane, and I have the PF-9 for that.

So regretfully, since I refuse to keep firearms I won't use, I'm putting my Kimber Aegis and Marlin Camp 9 up for sale.

*Sigh* I'm going to miss those two.

Mel