Wednesday, November 30, 2011

24 hours in bed

That's how I spent yesterday, and part of today.

After a couple... months really... of sleep deprivation (excepting a few days where I collapsed in exhaustion and slept for 6 to 8 hours; I haven't had more than 4 hours of sleep in any given 24 hour period in about three months... most days, less. Yes, it's because of the cancer. No, there's nothing I can do about it. Medications either don't work, or they work way too well, nothing in between); which has been particularly bad the last few weeks (I've been doing cycles of 40 hours awake, 2-4 hours asleep the last few weeks); unsurprisingly, my body gave out on me.

I collapsed into bed 8am yesterday with a moderate fever. Minus a few minutes waking up here and there, and a couple hours of half wakefulness overnight; I slept until about 8am this morning (thankfully, with no fever).

I don't know if you've ever slept 24 hours straight. It sounds great, restful and all that. It's not. You actually feel incredibly groggy, stiff etc... and it's a sonofabitch to get up and going into full wakefulness and productivity.

That said... god, I needed that.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.