Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Why I am NOT a libertarian...

I am not a libertarian because I think I'm smarter than you.

I am not a libertarian because I think I'm better educated than you.

I am not a libertarian because I think I'm morally or ethically superior to you.

I am not a libertarian because I think I have better ideas about running things than you.

I am a libertarian, because I recognize that no matter how smart, educated, experienced, informed, and competent I THINK I am...

...I KNOW that I am ALSO stupid, uneducated, inexperienced, ignorant, incompetent, and fallible...

...just like everyone else.

I am a libertarian, because I recognize that I do not have all of the information, knowledge, education, experience, judgement, and wisdom; to always make good decisions about MY OWN life, business, or circumstances.

I am a libertarian, because I understand that in fact, it is impossible for me to do so.

I am a libertarian, because if that's true of my OWN life... Then I absolutely and certainly do not, and can not; have the information, knowledge, education, experience, judgement, and wisdom; about YOUR, or ANYONE ELSES life, business, or circumstances, to make anyone elses decisions for them.

And neither do you...

And neither does the government...