Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Laptop is no compute

This morning, the OS on my laptop decided to go into a repeated crash and burn cycle, which eventually thoroughly corrupted the filesystem on the OS partition.

I'm trying to recover from backups at the moment. Not having a great time with that so far.

In the mean time, it's not like I don't have enough computers; and if it comes down to it, I can always recover the data from the data partition easily (I don't store anything on the OS partition, just in case I have to wipe and reinstall); it's just a major PITA.

The worst thing is, all my work files are on that data partition; and for some reason every time I try and copy them off the system tries to crash somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 through (it's different each time), even when I'm booted of a linux recovery disk.

It's probably due to filesystem corruption; so I may need to pull the hard drive and attach it (through one of several adapters and docks I have. Remarkably useful things those) to a running system to get a clean copy.


Oh and I'm still sick, which makes it doubly fun. I'm at least keeping the food down (barely), and not getting dehydrated; but food poisoning leaves you funky for a couple days.