Friday, July 19, 2013

You can no longer pretend your house locks provide actual security

I've been telling people a long time, that the only thing most locks do is keep honest people honest.

Now... I don't want anyone to think I'm against this service, I think it's great... but...

http://shloosl.com/

Pretty much ends any illusion you might have about your locks being secure.

Why? What is Shloosl?

It's a service that copies your keys, from a photograph.


Or rather, two photographs.

Just take a reasonably high res pic of both side of a key, send it to them, and a few days later you get a copy of your key.

... or anyone elses key.

Of course, this has always been a risk, it was just harder to clandestinely copy keys before.

Now... were I an idiot, or a politician (but I repeat myself), I would call for a ban on this "dangerous technology" etc... etc...

I'm not an idiot... and I don't believe in banning things in favor of faux security.

But at this point, you have to understand, any security depending on a key, can be compromised if your key is out of your direct control in any location, for any length of time.