Thursday, August 26, 2021

Been putting this off as long as I could...

Well... I've been putting it off as long as I could, both because I'm really needed at work, but also because it means a 40% pay cut, even if it's only temporary.... but last night, I finally had to file the paperwork for short term disability, due to my cancer, cancer treatment, and side effects.

At this point I just can't work. I can't maintain any kind of consistent times of being awake and functional, nor can I do so consistently for even 8 hours a day, never mind a "normal" 16 hours a day of wakefulness, and of course any kind of work schedule just isn't possible.

I've been working from my sick bed most of this year, and there's no way I'd have been able to work a "normal" office job or schedule, but working entirely from home with a flexible schedule, I've been able to manage it. 

Up until this second infusion I was generally able to do 3 consistent days per week, and fill in the other hours as I could... But now, I just can't do it.... and likely won't be able to do so for the next 2-3 months... 

...And that's presuming the treatments actually work... not a foregone conclusion at this point...

So, after I burn off my remaining sick days and vacation days, I'll start up to 26 weeks of short term disability leave, which as I said will mean a 40% pay cut, which is going to be more than a little bit tight. But at least I'll be able to stop worrying about work and focus on trying to stay alive, and maybe get better.