Thursday, September 03, 2009

A little conversation with family

From my cousin:

No one should die because they cannot afford health care, no one should go broke because they get sick, and no one should be denied insurance because of pre-existing conditions. (But I also believe that everyone is entitled to their opinions especially from personal experience. And I won't urge you repost this for the rest of the day. :-p I also hope that we can develop a system that truly works.)
My Response:

And we should all have unlimited money, and free ponies. And everyone should have free food and houses and college and... and... and...

There's no such thing as free. Do you have the right to hold a gun to my head, steal my money, and use it to pay for someone else's healthcare?

If you personally don't, then why does the government have the right to do it on your behalf?