Saturday, February 16, 2013

Shared Pain is Lessened, Shared Joy is Increased

"There is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern" -- Samuel Johnson

Re-reading Callahan's right now, from the beginning...

Because I need it.

Wash is still gone. My best friend is suffering from a serious antibiotic resistant infection post major abdominal surgery, and not doing well. Another good friend is very ill, and we won't be able to see them very much, if at all... And life just isn't simple, or easy... It never is.

Shared Pain is Lessened, Shared Joy is Increased.

Thank you Spider Robinson. If you don't know Callahan's, and you're not one of my few friends who dislike science fiction or fantasy... Go, Read, NOW.... Seriously (or even if you are... you should read anyway).

When I was a kid, Callahan's helped save my life... as it did so many others. It was a place, and an idea, I very much needed at that moment... and many moments since.

In fact... Spider himself has said that Callahan's is the kind of place that people find when they really need it... "It's the kind of place you only hear about when you really need to... if you're extremely lucky".

No, I'm not anywhere near that bad off right now... Just... needing something... and right now, praying isn't doing it for me... My prayers just... won't come together.

...I think this might be what I need right now.