Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Last Waltz

Yesterday, we put Mac down. One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. I've been through it before, it never gets any easier.

It was the best thing to do. He was never going to quit his post, but he couldn't stand the duty any more. It was time for him to move on, while he still had his dignity.

The night before, we let him sleep with us in the bed the last time... He couldn't get up with us, I had to pick him up and carry him onto the bed.

The next day, he took a real walk for the first time in a long time... got to do his thing in new territory, sniff away and pull me around the place. I had to carry him into the car, but he was still strong once he didn't have to flex those joints too bad.

He had a good day... maybe a great day. He went out happy.

Here's our last pictures with him:



He was a happy, strong, smart, loyal, and loving dog. My home is less alive without him. I've never had a better friend. I miss him more than I can say.

And that is the last I'm going to say about this here.