Monday, February 16, 2009

Pissing Apple and AT&T Off

My internet access has been down all morning (major regional failure on Qwest choice fiber internet; apparently not on their standard DSL); which is not great when it comes to my working, but at least I've got basic coms, and an alternate net connection.

I'm connecting to post this, through my jailbroken iPhone, using the internet connection sharing app "PdaNet" (which I highly recommend to anyone who jailbreaks their iPhone; and I highly recommend jailbreaking your iPhone), and accessing the net using my AT&T 3g connection.

It's a bit slow, but overall not bad. I wouldn't watch streaming video or download large files, but for email and blog posts, it's just fine.

However, if Apple has their way, it will be declared a violation of the DMCA to do this, and I would be subject to a $2500 fine and up to two years imprisonment.

Oh and AT&T wants to SELL me this service, for a $30 a month additional charge; for no extra capability, and in fact, adding a 5GB bandwidth cap.

Why is it that executives in so many of our large companies really don't seem to understand that screwing the customer isn't a viable profit making plan.