Wednesday, August 04, 2010

There's a map for that, and it covers our area...

Very very very irritated at the moment.

I just spent four hours writing a several thousand word post, on the current state of the smartphone market, and the relative strengths and weaknesses of iOS4 vs. Android,  AT&T vs. Verizon. , and todays Android hardware vs the iPhone 4.

I saved drafts the whole way. I checked to make sure those drafts actually saved. Everything was working fine.

It was a great post.

I finished it, and hit publish... and I got a message from blogger about "conflicting edits", so I backed up.... and it had erased all my content. I tried opening an older draft  but no, it was empty as well.

AAAAAARGH!!!!!!

I really don't feel like rewriting all that right now. It's 0340, I'm tired, and I'm pissed.

Yes, I know, I shouldn't trust blogger. I should compose in a third party editor and copy and paste to publish. I should copy the entire post before I hit publish....

I didn't.

Ok, the upshot of the post...

Mel and I were able to, through special offers, buy two Droid X handsets for only $40 more than one single iPhone 4 (buy it online, with a new contract, and use the discount code SMART30, and a new DroidX will only be $169).

We now live in a service area with no 3g from AT&T but great 3G from Verizon. Verizon has lowered their pricing and increased their service on family plans and data plans, and increased the discount I get from my employer. AT&T has lowered their services however, adding data caps. Our AT&T contract is up at the end of this bill. Verizon is now offering us more service than AT&T at the same price as AT&T.

Given that Android 2.2 is about to come out, and that the Droid X seems to be at least as good as the iPhone 4, and given the pricing and network functionality; we decided to switch to Verizon and Android.

As of Monday Mel and I are Android users, on the Droid X.

Any must have apps?

Anyone have a recommendation for a good ebook reader that can handle a lot of formats?