Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I Love Pecan Pie

Now don't get me wrong, I love me some apple pie, chocolate mousse pie, silk pie, strawberry rhubarb pie, and cheesecake (which is really a custard pie); but for my money, pecan pie is the best of them.

Now, the problem is, most folks (and especially most restaurants) dont make good pecan pie.

I don't understand it. How much simpler can a pie get. It's just sugar, syrup (corn, cane, or maple) butter, eggs, vanilla, maybe a little seasoning (at least a pinch of salt anyway), and pecans.

The sad fact is though, simple it may be, but most places screw it up.

To my mind, the perfect pecan pie isn't at all crispy or sticky. The filling should be a gooey, but not runny, tasty custard. There should be nuts in every bite, but not so much that they overwhelm the custard; which should be about an inch thick. The crust can be whatever you like; a flaky butter crust, a butter cookie crust, or a graham cracker crust all work for me; so long as they're moist. I can't abide a dry crust.

Serve it hot, with ice cream or fresh whipped cream, and some cafe au lait... damn fine.

My wife is in the kitchen making pecan pie right now. This is her first try.

I've made it before, but I freely acknowledge I'm no master; so I'm lettin' her do her thing and figure out how best to go 'bout it on her own.

Mmmmmmmm.... pie