Thursday, December 22, 2005

It's a meme thing...

Okay so it's going around on some of the sites I read, what are your top ten great movies of all time...

Now this is a really tough one. There are movies that are my favorites, but that I don't think belong on an all time great list, then theres the all time great movies, some of which I appreciate as great, but I don't like very much (like citizen kane).

I'm just going to post my favorites, jsut the ones I think of off the top of my head without worrying about being complete, and not worrying about order.

Also, I'm going to cheat and make it my top 100, because I just can't limit it to ten (yes I know that's a lot. I'm a movie nut, and I like too many genres). Oh and I'm going to make some sequel combos one movie (LOTR for example).

Finally, I'm going to restrict myself from including anime and documentaries.

Also you might notice I'ma big fan of Jack Nicholson, John Wayne, Gene Hackman, Tommy Lee Jones, and a few others. Actually I can easily make a John Wayne top 20, and at least a top ten from Nicholson.

Ok, the list:

  1. The Princess Bride
  2. The Usual Suspects
  3. Real Genius
  4. The Star Wars Trilogy (the new ones... meh)
  5. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  6. The Entire Collected James Bond series (yes I know that's cheating massively. It's my list)
  7. Roman Holiday
  8. Star Trek IV
  9. The Longest Yard
  10. Spaceballs
  11. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (the worst movie ever made that way on purpose)
  12. Pirates of the carribean
  13. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
  14. The Incredibles
  15. The Godfather
  16. The Godfather II
  17. Goodfellas
  18. The Searchers
  19. The Shootist
  20. As good as it gets
  21. Chinatown
  22. One flew over the cuckoos nest
  23. Apocalypse now
  24. Full Metal Jacket
  25. Animal House
  26. My fair lady
  27. True Grit
  28. The Green Berets
  29. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  30. The Longest Day
  31. Kellys Heros
  32. The Basketball Diaries
  33. The Dirty Dozen
  34. The Magnificent Seven
  35. They Were Expendable
  36. Rashomon
  37. Yojimbo
  38. Sanjuro
  39. Shichinin no samurai
  40. Reap the wild wind
  41. The Quiet Man
  42. Rio Bravo
  43. Pale Rider
  44. Casablanca
  45. The Philadelphia Story
  46. Bedknobs and Broomsticks
  47. Auntie Mame
  48. Donovans reef
  49. Hellfighters
  50. Guess whos coming to dinner
  51. Taxi Driver
  52. The Deer Hunter
  53. Pulp Fiction
  54. Reservoir Dogs
  55. Brazil
  56. Time Bandits
  57. 12 Monkeys
  58. Seven
  59. The Fifth Element
  60. X-Men
  61. Good Will Hunting
  62. Rounders
  63. The Professional
  64. Heathers
  65. Pump up the volume
  66. Beetlejuice
  67. Ronin
  68. The Replacements
  69. Semi-tough
  70. The Longest Yard (the original)
  71. Glengarry Glennross
  72. Scarface
  73. Batman
  74. Platoon
  75. Mr. Roberts (and Ensign Pulver)
  76. The Big Sleep
  77. The Maltese Falcon
  78. True Romance
  79. A history of the world part 1
  80. The Producers (the original)
  81. Hackers
  82. Wargames
  83. The Matrix
  84. Blazing Saddles
  85. Robin Hood - Men In Tights
  86. Young Frankenstein
  87. French Kiss
  88. Much Ado ABout Nothing (Kenneth Brannagh)
  89. Othell0 (Fishburne)
  90. Henry V (Brannagh)
  91. American Beauty
  92. Aladdin
  93. Dead Poets Society
  94. Tombstone
  95. The Bridge Over the River Qwai
  96. Cool Hand Luke
  97. Necessary Roughness
  98. The Right Stuff
  99. L.A. Confidential
  100. Saving Private Ryan
Now that's a big list, and actually I can think of 100 more right off the top of my head, and I KNOW tha't not the right order...

Oh, and from looking at the order you might be able to see some interesting patterns into how my mind works.

Wow, I am SOOOO going broke at Amazon next year...