Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Arbitrary and capricious

I just recieved this via corporate global email from a company I'm contracting for:
"In an effort to address escalating air quality issues, the Arizona State Legislature passed a law requiring all major employers within Maricopa County to reduce the number of single-occupant vehicles traveling to the workplace by ten percent. {insert company name here}, a Scottsdale-based corporation, is required to fully comply with this legislation.

In support of this initiative, Maricopa County is issuing a confidential survey regarding employee commuter habits and preferences. As part of the overarching legislative mandate, {insert company name here} is required to capture a 60% response rates to the surveys."
I see... and a local community government has the power to do this how? Precisely what grants them this authority? They will be enforcing it how? A state government even?

Honestly, can you imagine a government in this country seriously thinking they can do this?

Well no, that's wrong, I can imagine they DO think they have that power, along with thinking that they can push back the tides, and legislate how much sunshine each square yard should recieve... but as to actually doing it...

I have suddenly discovered I lack the capacity to ridicule this sufficiently. I can of course do my best, but it simply isn't enough.

Perhaps I should forward this to Misha and Kim and look out for explosions to my east...