Monday, March 01, 2010

Just a LITTLE Adultery...

A month or so back, I mentioned I felt a bit like cheating.
"I'm a strat man. I've alway had strats, and strat clones, and superstrats... hell I even had a strat shaped acoustic once. My very first guitar was a strat clone (appropriately enough for this post though, it was an Epiphone). I own a superstrat now (a Jackson Dinky)...

...and I'm kinda having a bit of guitar lust over a Les Paul.

Maybe a flame maple bookmatched top, with that deep cherry sunburst... blocks and bindings,, and no pick guard...

...Most importantly, is there any way to get a decent one without being raped (and god knows, you can't buy a new one in the style I'd like for less than the price of a used car...
"
Sooo.....

As it happens, yesterday, I snagged a new Les Paul... for $300.

Well... not new, and not a Gibson; but honestly, it's such a nice guitar I don't give a damn.

Actually, it's a used Japanese Epiphone Les Paul classic custom, in chambered mahogany, and no pick guard (which I prefer); customized with Gibson USA pickups and electronics (BurstBuckers); black Gibson knobs, switchgear, and surrounds; chrome Grover tuners, a graphite string nut, and chrome straplocks (with a really nice paded and quilted leather strap).

The important part though is the wood... a carved, AAAA grade (some would grade this as AAA instead), highly figured, bookmatched quilted maple top; in translucent black smoke, with full antique bindings on body, fingerboard, and headstock, and real mother of pearl fretboard and headstock inlays.

Which funny enough, is the same finish on my Jackson superstrat, and my Ovation electricoustic (though they are flame maple, not quilted... and neither are nearly so highly figured). So I've got a matched set on my triple guitar stand (that's not it above, obviously).

Honestly, the pic doesn't do the wood justice... and it plays, just as good as it looks... and it matches the other two guitars... For $300 I just couldn't let it pass by.