Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Facebook - it Ain't for College Students Anymore

So I woke up this morning and I check my email on my phone before I even get out of bed.

Yes, it's incredibly geeky, I know.

So one of my cousins spent some time on Facebook last night sending me friend recommendations so I've got several emails from Facebook in my inbox. I'm scrolling though them, going "cousin, cousin, cousin, holy crap Grandpa?!?!"

My 93-year-old grandfather just joined Facebook.

This is the same man who learned to use a computer at 88 so he could get pictures and email from his grandkids (and great-grandkids, and great-great-grandkids). He was so new to computers that my aunt had to explain the concept of the backspace key because his typing was bad and he was used to typewriters (his emails arrived with the typos at the bottom of the page).

Grandpa is officially internet savvy.

This is awesome though. He just became completely deaf after years of hearing loss so he can't talk on the phone anymore, but he can still read and write. Facebook will help him immensely.

He's just somewhat older than the original group of users.

Mel