Monday, July 09, 2007

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious...

That Amex would use this in a commercial?



I was inspired to post this thought (which has been rattling around in my head since the commercial premiered a couple months back) by Scalzi posting this:

"Your question for today: Is Spinal Tap, at this time, a rock band in its own right?

If your answer is "yes," do you think there's a legitimate argument for including the band in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame? We're only a couple years away from when the band would be eligible (25 years after the release of their first album, which in this case would be the This is Spinal Tap soundtrack, released in 1984).

I have my own opinion both questions (you might be able to guess what they are simply by the fact I'm posing these questions at all) but I'm interested in hearing some general discussion on the matter. "


Well, they are real enough to have sold out and had one of their songs being used as the theme in a major corporations commercial; a major milestone for any real band after all.

...though they were "the thamesmen" then ;-)

Hell, Harry Scherer, Christopher Guest, and Michael McKeon can really sing and play quite well, together and onstage even. That's better than a hell of a lot of bands manage to do today.