Monday, November 19, 2007

Babes With Bullets - Match Day and Culmination of Camp

First off, please let me apologize for finishing up so late. Chris and I spent this last weekend getting some things ready for the holidays, and Saturday Chris, John, and I celebrated my birthday with a TSO concert and lots of food.

But anyway...

Thursday morning the condo awoke early once more. The day would be our last day at the range, and the last day of camp.

We headed to the range early and watched as the stages were arranged for the first match. This would be my first actual match with actual competition, and some of the other campers shared my experience level in this regard.

The campers split off into two groups to shoot the 4 stages. I don't have any pictures; I somewhat lost track of the need to take pics as I was too busy watching everyone in my group compete =).

There were four stages in the match, some with swingers, some with no-shoots, some with steel, and all with some kind of obstruction to work around. I'd never done anything like the footwork, speed, and movement necessary to complete the stages, and I LOVED it.

After the points were totaled I ended up smack dab in the middle of the production class, and given a few goofs I'd done and the caliber of competition I had, I am more than happy with that standing.

At the end of the match the camp officially ended. All those in Kay's carpool (Ann, Lisa, and me) helped tear down the stages as we waited for Lisa to finish up.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to talk to Lisa Munson about guns, take it. The ride back to Phoenix passed by very quickly.

Kay dropped me off at my poor, neglected household that afternoon and I waved bye to my fellow campers as they headed off to Rio Salado.

Bottom line: by the end of the camp I'd learned to be more accurate, faster, and definitely more confident in my shooting. All of this is entirely due to the exceptional instructors, one-on-one instruction, and long days at the range during the camp. As for the other campers? All of them were supportive, caring, awesome women.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely. In fact, there is at least one woman we know who will be going to the camp next year. Am I going again? ABSOLUTELY. I enjoyed the camp immensely and the instruction is worth 5 times what they charge. I'm signing up again when the camp comes back to AZ next year.

Mel

Some additional info:
The Babes with Bullets site
Kay Miculek's company site, with camp info
Marsha Petrie Sue's (fellow camper and published author) site


This is Part 5 of a series of posts about my experience at the Ladies Shooting Camp I attended.
Post 1 - Background
Post 2 - Meet and Greet
Post 3 - Day 1 of Instruction
Post 4 - Day 2 of Instruction