Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Something a little funny about me

I've been on a reading binge the last few weeks.

For most of my life I've read at least a book a day most days, excepting while I was in the Air Force (didn't have that much time). For the last few years however, again I haven't had the time to read as much as I like; sometimes going two or three weeks without finishing a single book (I'm usually reading two books at once; a fiction, and a non fiction).

Well, after we got the new shelves in the bedroom set up, and sorted the to-read pile, I set in on it; and I've managed about a dozen books in the last couple weeks.

In the last 36 or so hours I've read three books; the first three of the 'doc ford' series by Randy Wayne White, published in mass market paperback by St. Martin press... And it made me realize something:

I LOATHE bad typography and poor quality paper. Seriously, I can't stand it. It ruins a reading experience for me. I like ebooks, which of course have no paper at all; so it's not that... I just hate reading words printed on thin paper with an unpleasant texture, and I especially hate reading poor type.

There is no excuse for poor typesetting in this day and age.

Honestly, these MM paperbacks were so badly typeset and printed, and on such bad paper, that if they weren't VERY good books otherwise, I would have stopped reading.

I dunno, maybe it's just me... but there's a reason I prefer to buy hardcover.