Monday, December 13, 2010

Outta Left Field

In the midst of all the other drama concerning health and family life, I received a call from my OBGYN's office. The doc routinely orders full blood panels every 5 years "just in case" for all her patients, and since I'd hit 30 she ordered one for me.

The test results came in Friday. Evidently my TSH levels are high (5.83) and my T4 level is in the low normal range (0.9) signaling an imbalance and an under-active thyroid.

As the nurse was rattling off the symptoms, I couldn't help but notice that yes, I had the symptoms but attributed them to other conditions.

  • Depression = life circumstances, unavoidable
  • Fatigue = from the depression
  • Increased hair loss = seasonal change, it is my first winter here after all
  • Inability to lose weight = also from the depression
  • Mood swings = from the already well known hormonal imbalance and PMDD
Turns out that instead, I have a very easy to treat condition. One little pill a day to give my thyroid a boost.

The first couple of days I felt like a mix between a zombie and a robot. Took me a while to realize why.

My emotions have normalized. I no longer have huge mood swings, really high highs or really low lows. I feel... normal. Without the huge variations in mood I feel almost as if I have no emotion whatsoever. It will take me a while to get used to being so stable, and so in control of what I feel.

How odd it is that the most psychoactive drug I've ever taken besides opiates for pain is a little tiny thyroid pill. How odd it is that every other anti-depressant failed, but a thyroid medication has started working within 3 days.

Maybe I should have looked into this sooner.

Mel