Thursday, September 06, 2007

She may be famous, but that don't mean much

I kinda dig this song from Jill Sobule... actually I kind of dig her music in general, but this is specifically what I'm talking about today thanks to Vodkapundit:



From her post on the video site:

"What do I do now?

In 1991, I released my first record on MCA (or MCI, as my mom always mistakenly told her friends, hoping to impress them). I was bummed, as I had just missed the opportunity to have my face big on an album cover. But vinyl was over, and the CD format (with the long cardboard box–remember that?) was the wave of the future.

Since then, I have been dropped by two major labels and languished on two indies that both went bankrupt.

Well, no one in my world (the music industry) seems to really know what to do. That’s why I am asking you D geeks if you have any ideas.

Right now I have plenty of what I think are really swell songs (see video)

None of my musician friends are mourning the demise of the record industry. Most of us got crummy deals anyway and never saw a penny of royalties. My nephews expect really expensive birthday gifts from me, as they think that I must be rolling in dough, having been on MTV a few times. I always acquiesce, not wanting to tell them the truth."



Now heres a woman who's got almost 30 years of writing, recording, and touring behind her; and she really has no clue where to go next, because the recording industry is killing itself. She's someone who never really "fit the biz" anyway, because they could never figure out how to sell poppy folks rock with a social slant, from this cute little woman with a girlish voice. It took her twelve years from the time of her first paying gig to get a record deal, and since then as she said, shes been through four record companies two of which went bankrupt.

Sure, a lot of people know who she is, but being slightly famous doesn't mean you have any money; and in the recording biz, in fact it most likely means you're in debt for more than you'll ever make back from record sales. Now she's 46 not 26, and what is the gonna do?

The recording industry is effectively dead; has been for a while they just don't know it yet. They're rolling downhill on inertia alone.

The problem is, nothing has replaced it yet. The internet of course is a start, but no-one (except Apple) seems to know how to make money with it yet. No money, means no rent; no rent, means musicians no play.