Saturday, April 22, 2006

Carrying Revolvers

So, none of my carry guns are revolvers, why is that? Do I have a prejudice against revolvers?

Not at all. I bought my wife an SP101, and I wouldnt have done that if I didn't think it was a fine weapon. I myself use a 5" 625 as my bedside gun.

I also used to carry a 386 mountain lite, and a 2.5" 686p (which was my bedside gun at the time), but I sold them (much to my regret).

I'd love to carry my 625, though it would pretty much have to be open carry (which is just fine here in AZ) since it's a bit difficult to conceal a 5" N frame.

I'm also seriously lusting after one of the J frame scandium airweights. I'm a recoil monster, and I've fired them with full house .357. Yes, they are unpleasant, but not so much that I wouldnt practice with them, and 5 shots of .357 plus speed strips or speed loaders is a pretty decent bit of fight ending power. Plus some of the really hot .38spl are decent enough for carry.

Actually, speed strips are easier to carry around than a loaded mag; though of course quite a bit slower to get into action.

Now I've recommended the KelTec p3at here over the j frame as a pocket gun, and I still do . The Kel tec is smaller in every dimension; most importantly thinner and lighter; so it slips into a pocket much better than even the short butt J's. That doesn't mean I don't like the J however. I jsut think it's not the best choice as a pocket gun.

That said, I would have no problem with it as a primary carry piece in an IWB or something similar, especially with a nice full hogue grip, or a spegel boot grip. Again, with speed strips, I'll take a 5 shots of .357 as a primary defensive weapon any day. In an IWB (which I've tried with other revolvers before... so so... but the 5 shot J is a lot slimmer), a small framed round butt revovler is even easier to conceal than most compact autos and some subcompacts. The butt is far less obtrusive, doesnt have sharp edges to snag, and is a more organic shape.

So I DO think revovers are suitable open and concealed carry pieces. Basically I don't carry a revolver, because I don't really have a suitable revolver for carry, and because I don't have the holsters to do so either.

At least for now...

A kind reader sent me a couple of spare holsters for the wifes SP101 last night (she only had a pocket holster for it), both Desantis strong side high rides; one the FBI speed scabbard, and one a somewhat more mildly canted thumb break pancake.

I tried them out, and let me tell you with the sculptured wood grip on it, the SP101 is INCREDIBLY comfy to carry in a high ride. In fact it's far more comfortable in a highride than any of my medium to full size autos (which is why I usually use IWB's with them). The sculpted butt being the only thing sticking out above the holster, theres no sharp edges, and no snags to worry about, unlike with an auto where the high ride is snag city, and bend the wrong way and you get jabbed in the ribs.

I had never tried carrying a small framed revolver in a highride before, only IWB and in the pocket so I didnt realize how comfortable it would be.

The reason I like IWB carry for my autos so much is because it pulls the weapon in very low and tight to the body, and presents the grip in a more natural location for my long arms. This has the added side effect of reducing the snags etc... caused by the square edged grip frame beign out there in the breeze.

Now the high ride for the revolver still has the other issue that makes me not care for it in general with my autos; most strongsides put the grip up a little bit too high for a comfortable draw for me. This is especially true of FBI cant holsters which place the grip frame near vertical, thus presenting me with an uncomfortable height AND uncomfortable angle. I prefer a cant in between FBI and vertical presentation. Something that puts a 1911 barrel maybe half to 2/3 of FBI, say 15 degrees off vertical, puts the grip frame into my hand nicely.

Anyway, trying the highride with the SP101 has me wanting even more to pickup a nice belt scabbard for my 625; and to pick up my own J frame again... Oh and an L frame wouldnt hurt either; I miss my 386 and 686 - I'd really love to have a 386P again, or a 686p, either in 4"...

Anyway, it has got me thinking more on the carry revolver front. I may even pick up my own SP101, a gun I REALLY like, other than it's generally poor trigger, which can be easily fixed.

Sure the J frame scandiums are smaller, lighter, prettier, and have better triggers; but with a good grip on them the SP's frame feel nicer in my hand.

Plus, the SP has one major advantage over the Smith.. you can buy one new for under $400 and used in great shape for under $300. The Scandiums run from $600 to $900 in the j frames, and up to $1300 or more for the L and N frame performance center models.

Even if it is ridiculously expensive ($900 list, about $800 retail IF you can find one), I still miss my 386 mountain lite... 7 shot, medium frame, 18 oz .357 with a 3" barrel. I can't THINK of a better primary carry revolver...

Well, I can think of one. Not so much better, as one I have more lust for. I REALLY want a Model 25 mountain gun, in .45lc with a dehorn job (not that it needs much), a nice sculpted grip, and deep matte finish. It's beautiful, relatively light (considering its an N frame with a 4" barrel in carbon steel anyway), and chambers a termendously effective, but controallable cartridge.

Oh and those titanium Taurus compact .45lcs... I've come SOOO close to buying one about four time. I swear next time I see one at a gun show out comes the wallet.

What can I say, I just love .45s' be they -70, lc, or ACP.