Thursday, April 20, 2006

Why so much?



So I had a couple questions about "Don't leave home without them" and "Carry that weight"; mostly about WHY, I carry, how often I carry, and the decision making processeses about what I carry.

The first question, why do I carry so much, and so often? That one is kind of harsh really. See I’ve had people try and kill me a couple times. One time it was my own brother. I’ve had very credible terrorist death threats. I get death threats on at least a weekly basis.

I DON’T disarm myself willingly

The only time that there isn’t a firearm within arms reach of me is when I am drinking (very rarely), when I’m in a state or federal office; or when I’m on a client site that doesn’t permit weapons (which is unfortunately most of them).

I will regularly disregard no-carry notices in commercial businesses as a customer or patron; but never with a client as that would be both unprofessional and stupid.

The KelTec leaves my pocket when I go to bed, otherwise it’s right there all the time. I’m so used to the carry weight of my full carry pieces that I often wear them around the house all day.

As I type right this second there are 9 loaded weapons within arms reach of me, including a 12ga, four .45s and a .357. The only unloaded weapons in my house are the ones that are locked up in the cabinet, or being worked on on the bench. The only thing more useless than an unloaded weapon is an unprepared mind.

I even have a pen gun for when all other types of carry would be impossible. It has no barrel to speak of, just a tube in front of the chamber, and the chamber CAN handle both .22lr and .22wmr safely (its a slightly tapered ream and the cases bulge very slightly, but don’t even come close to blowing); though the times I tried it with the WMR it was unpleasant.

Technically speaking I suppose it could take the .17 calibers as well, but it would permanently blow out the shoulder of the round… which come to think of it may not be a bad thing. It’s definitely not going to damage the pen gun, and it might do more damage at the nasty end. Then again, it might not depending on whether the bullet kept full pressure from exiting the neck or not, and how unstable it was when it left the chamber without a barrel to guide it.

I have various knives that WILL NOT be seen on xray or a magnetometer. They don't look like knives, and they won't ever be confiscated.

The only time I am unarmed is when I am naked; and even then I have been studying the martial arts since I was five.

Am I paranoid? Sure. That question isn't whether I'm paranoid, it's whether I'm paranoid enough.

There's another answer there as well. I carry so much because I can, without great discomfort. I'm a very big, and very strong guy, and I can conceal a full size 1911, a backup gun, two reloads, and a tactictal knife and flashlight without thinking twice.

Now, why those knives and flashlight?

The A2 aviator is expensive, and a little bulkier than the E1 or E2, but I think the option of a red led light source and an incandescent source is good to have. That said, I do own an E1L, and I'm probably going to pick up an E2L to replace it.

The SureFire E1L is jsut too damned small. It has managed to disappear itself in my house somewhere (I KNOWw for sure it’s here not lost somewhere outside).

Honestly it was a mistake picking it up. I loved it because it was so small; but it is literally too small. The E2L is only an inch longer, but much more usable; and with a much longer and slightly brighter runtime.

Oh and if you are going for a new surefire as a personal light, I HIGHLY recommend one of the LED models. I’m very happy with mine, and you can always buy the incandescent head for them later if you want (another thing to love about surefires).

Oh and I'm SERIOUSLY lusting after the SureFire U2, but it's almost $300.

The River Rock I carry when I'm not carrying a SureFire is a cheap and cheerful 1.5 watt LED light from Target. River Rock is one of their store brands, and that light, which is not much bigger than a maglight solitaire, and MUCH smaller than a mini maglite (and much brighter and with a longer run time) sells for $14.95. Sure it's nowhere near as tough, or as bright, as a surefire, but it's 1/6th the price.

Knives...

Well first of all I love knives as much as I love guns. I have dozens, and I would (and do) call myself a casual collector.

I have four daily carry knifves that I rotate around depending on what I'm wearing, or what I'm doing that day. Yesterday I had a Mel Pardue full size Ambush (a well used first run numbered prototype). I usually have either that, a Ken Onion blackout (smoothe), or a Benchmade auto mini reflex (smoothe). I generally dislike serrated edges for pocket knives.

Oh and I sometimes have my pocket clip model BuckTool. I like it better than my old leathermans (which I will never buy again after the last election) but not as much as the gerbers (I have two). Of course it’s alot easier to carry in the pocket with the smaller size and the clip.

You know it’s funny, but I’ve established a tradition of using my blackouts a while, then giving them to friends. I’m on my fifth one now, and I think the last one cost me $60. It's a knife I wholeheartedly recommend, and you can get it at WwalMart if you have no decent knife shop nearby.

Now back to guns.

Everyone knows I love the 10mm, and I like Glocks, so why don't I have a G29 (sub-compact 10mm)?

Simple: the g29 and my hands are incompatible. I have very large meaty hands, and with the long and stubby grip on the 29, I can't get a decent shooting grip. Now if they made a singlestack version I'd be on it in a heartbeat. Personally I'd like ANY decent THIN, RELIABLE, and LIGHT 10mm carry gun.

That's why I dont carry the G30 btw. It's the same height and length as the g36, but it's a doublestack with a 10rd magazine instead of the 6 rounder in the G36. Unfortunately, I jsut find the grip uncomfortable, and that's with my BIG hands.

Oh and honstely, I don't like Glocks all that much. They are ugly, blocky, bulky, and generally have bad triggers. However the g36 is the thinnest and lightest .45acp that I can actually shoot and carry; and it's incredibly reliable, so it's what I carry.

Now, shooting the P3AT. The most common question I get is what's the recoil like with full house loads?

In such a light gun it’s pretty damned snappy, but not painful; and they group well, and deliver a 90gr bullet at 1250fps in my testing (they say 1150 on the box). That’s near 9mm power, and above most .38spl at the same barrel length (125gr at 850fps from a 2” is the standard light load, but you can get as hard and heavy 125gr at 1050fps and 158gr at 1000fps).

I’ve found the CorBon, Winchester Ranger SXT, and Federal Premium Hydrashoks are all good carry ammo for my gun, but ymmv.

One thing though, the heaviest factory .380 load is going to be safe in this gun; because almost all .380s are straight blowback designs, and therefore the factories deliberately limit the pressure. With the locked breech action of the KelTec it could handle more pressure, if YOU as the shooter can.

I’m seriously thinking about picking up some components, and loading some .380 thats only for the Kel Tec. Before I do that though I’m going to pick up the +1 magazine, with a floorplate extension so I can get a full 3 finger grip on the gun.

Then I'm going to be careful, and work with the chrono a lot.