Thursday, April 20, 2006

Carry That Weight

I was just adding up some weights related to the post "Don't leave home without them"

On a light day, I'm carrying just the following "gear" :

1. KelTec P3AT - 13oz, loaded in wallet holster
2. Ken Onion Blackout - 4oz
3. River Rock mini 1.5 watt LED flashlight - 2.5oz

So that's not too bad, at only about 20oz. Of course that's not including keys and wallet etc... but still not too bad.

Of course that's the absolute LEAST I ever carry. The outfit I was carrying today was a lot heavier:



1. KelTec P3AT - 13oz, loaded in wallet holster
2. Mel Pardue Full Size Ambush - 6oz (not pictured)
3. SureFire A2 Aviator - 4oz
4. Glock G36 with +1 magazine grip extension and IWB - 31oz
5. Spare magazine with carrier - 8oz

That adds up to 62 ounces; almost 4lbs! Worse, that's the LIGHT weight option for my full sized carry pieces.

If we replace 4 and 5 above with my Springfield Champion and two Wilson mags (which I also regularly carry), you are talking about some serious weight:

1. KelTec P3AT - 13oz, loaded in wallet holster
2. Mel Pardue Full Size Ambush - 6oz (not pictured)
3. SureFire A2 Aviator - 4oz
4. Springfield Champion with IWB and Wilson 47d mag - 44oz
5. Two spare loaded 47d magazines with carriers - 18oz

A total weight of almost 85 oz, or almost 5 and a half lbs...

This is why I'm so interested in the new KelTec PF9 (16oz loaded), and the Kahr KP45 (28oz loaded). If I can knock nearly two pounds off that carry weight, then I am more likely to carry the more powerful options, under more circumstances.

Oh and it's also why I prefer the KelTec P3AT over the J frame smiths. Even the lightest Scandium versions weigh half again as much as the KelTec (13oz loaded in holster vs 12oz empty, without holster), and are TWICE as thick, longer, and taller. Every inch and every ounce counts here. If you dont spend the $800+ on the Scandium models, the aluminum ones are 3oz heaver, and the steel are 8oz heavier.

Honestly, unless you are going to fire full on .357 through them (and most don't because it's frankly painful) I don't think it's worth the tradeoff. I don't think .38spl offers a big enough advantage in a 2" barreled gun over .380 +p+ (in a 3" gun) to offest the increased size, especially the thickness and weight. Sure I think the J frame is a better weapon overall, but I think the KelTec is the far superior pocket gun.

Of course I still want a 340pd...