Thursday, September 28, 2006

Traffic reports and Hogs

My traffic hsa been steadily but slowly dropping off the last month or two; since I've had minimal gun content, and mostly been blogging about my personal and work life.

I WAS going to write a post about how I don't much care that my traffic is going down; I write for myself and choose the topics I write about; not in an angry way or anything, just as an aside; then I read this on Steve H.s' site this morning:
"I don't have a target demographic. I don't have a sales team. I don't sit around wondering what I can do to make readers happy and attract more of them. I've unpublished thousands of entries and made the search engines quit caching my work. Is that what a person who wants traffic does?

This site is a hobby. I don't care if you read it or not. If you've enjoyed it so far, wonderful. If you don't enjoy it any more, go read someone else's site. That's what I do. I don't hang around in other people's comments, telling them what to write.

Put a piece on your own blog, telling everyone how wrong I am. That's the best solution of all."
Ummm, yea pretty much.

Oh I do care that my readers enjoy what I write and that I write well; but I dont write to get hits, I write because it's what I want (really need actually) to do.

Now, don't take that to mean I'm not going to write about guns more, because I disdain trffic or anything. I havent written much about guns in a few weeks, because I have a few 5000-10000 word monstrosities coming, that I havent had the time to finish yet.

In the mean time, my diet and excercise, my work, and my family are all on the top of the forebrain stack, so that's what I write about on a day to day basis.