Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Technology, Security, Law Enforcement, and Medicine

Just something to think about...

Don't there seem to be a disproportionate number of verterans in those professions? I guess it's something about solving difficult problems, helping people, and serving...

I was thinking about this the other day, and I realized that almost everyone I served with that I actually liked, and almost everyone I know who served (that I like), went into those fields if they had a choice.

Sure there are a bunch of guys out there who ended up as car salesmen, or in the family business; but the ones who were serious about why they were in, and the ones who had a choice when they got out; they all seem to have chosen Technology, Security, Law Enforcement, or Medicine.

I myself chose both Technology and Security, and I now do those thing for the medical field. I chose them, because they were interesting, and challenging, and because I still felt a sense of service doing my job. I keep the bad guys away from peoples healthcare and personal information, and I help to make sure they get good healthcare; and I get great satisfaction from that.

I have difficult problems to solve, I have leadership challenges to overcome... Sure it's not even close to the same thing, but hey, you've seen the video of me; it's not like I'm getting back into uniform any time soon. I'm in a position where I have to fight hard for my people, and I have to stay on top of things to get what I need. I love my job, I love what I do, but I hate my business (IT in general). I live with it, because I love what I actually do. I think I'm where I can do the best, for the most people right now; and I find that very satisfying.

I had often thought of getting my fat ass back down into shape again, and joining one of the MANY desperately understaffed departments out here in the west, but honestly I dont think I'd put up with the bullshit.

I've also thought about returning to finish a paramedics cert (I was a CNA, and an EMT basic, both long expired), but I don't really want to work in that environment either.

I love teaching and training, and I'm a great teacher, but I don't think I'd want to put up with THAT bullshit (or those people) either.

So I guess it's still Technology, Security, and Medicine for me.