Tuesday, April 03, 2007

What have you been reading ?

Gunthing Forum member Aesop Mysleeve (brilliant pun I know), doesn't much care for TV. Personally I'm ambivalent: There's some really good TV out there right now, and as always Sturgeons law applies, and theres some real crap.

Anyway, related to his dislike, he recently asked "What are you reading?"

So, I thought I'd answer myself, and ask you all as well (consider yourself meme tagged if you have a blog).

Lesseee... at any given time I tend to be reading one fiction and one non-fiction book; because I generally prefer not to break my mind out of the characters and environment of a single book or series and into others (although there have exceptions), but I DO like to break a little bit with non-fiction in between, and vice versa.

So, what am I reading right now? Well, todays reading is:

“Paddy Whacked: the untold story of the Irish American Gangster” - by T.J English
“Kitty Takes a Holiday” - by Carrie Vaughn

I finished the advanced reader copy of the latest John Ringo “Ghost” series “A Deeper Blue” the other day (better than the previous two, and almost no sex at all); and before that I re-read the entire Sten series for the 10th or 11th time. On the non-fiction side I recently finished “You’re Not Fooling Anyone When You Take Your Laptop Into a Coffee Shop”, by John Scalzi

In the stack to be read… lord this is getting long:

  • “For a Few Demons More” - Kim Harrison
  • “By Slanderous Tongues” - Mercedes Lackey
  • “Traitor to the blood” and “Rebel Fay” - by Barb and J.C. Hendee
  • The entire “Islands in the Sea of Time” and “Dies the Fire” series (six books total) - by S.M. Stirling
  • “1635: Cannon law” and “1634: the ram rebellion” - by Eric Flint
  • All of the “Swagger Family” books ‘cept “point of impact (already read it) - by Stephen Hunter
  • Re-read the “warlock” series (already re-read the first four) - by Christopher Stasheef
  • “One Shot” and “The Enemy” - by Lee Child
  • “A Feast of Crows” - by George R.R. Martin
  • “Divided in Death”, “Visions in Death”, and “Born in Death” - by J.D. Robb
  • “Tempus Fugit” - by Lawrence Lee Rowe
  • “At All Costs” - by David Weber
  • “The Androids Dream” - by John Scalzi
  • “Twelve Sharp” - by Janet Evanovich
  • the “Viscount of Adrilankha” series - by Steven Brust
  • “Faerie Wars” - by Herbie Brennan
  • “Phules Errand” - by Robert Aspirin
  • “Working for the Devil” and “Dean Men Rising” - by Lilith Stormcrow
  • “Greywalker” - by Kat Richardson
For non-fiction the stack is:
  • “1776” - by David Mccollough
  • “The Tactical Pistol” and “Tactical Pistol Marksmanship” - by Gabe Suarez
  • “Rifle Rules: Magic for the Ultimate Shooter” - by Don Paul
  • “I’m a Stranger Here Myself” - by Bill Bryson
  • “The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam and the Crusades” - by Robert Spencer
  • “Talk to the Hand” - by Lynne Truss
Hmmmm.... theres at least a dozen more, that for some reason aren’t sitting on my “to read” bookcase (yes, between my wife and I we have an entire six shelf book case filled). I’mna have to scan the shelves for them. I’ve also got probably 4 more books scheduled to be coming this month, plus whatever I find along the way.

For the first time in my life, I’m not in danger of “running out” of books. I used to read about a book a day (actually usually 1/3 to 1/2 a book on busy days, and two or three books on slow ones), but since acquiring a wife and two kids, I’m lucky if I can finish two a week.

At the moment, I’ve got about 120 linear feet of book shelves; plus a bunch of books in boxes that I don’t have shelving room for. My living room is completely lined with bookshelves to chest or head height; and I’m in the middle of a project to catalogue and organize all the books.

I've got about 1500 at the moment I think; which is down from my high of around 4000 when I was 19. A flood, a fire, four cross country and three international moves later, I had almost none left. All but about 100 of that 1500 are just the accumulation of the last three or so years.

As to what I LIKE to read, I'm pretty simple. I generally like history, historical fiction, science, science fiction, mythology, fantasy, action/adventure, war and spy stuff (both fiction and non), humor, politics, and commentary.

Now, how about you?