Monday, March 20, 2006

Quest for water - one month on

About a month ago I wrote this:
"Speaking of cold water, I've got three women with me who don't drink enough of it, and as a result they are all perpetually dehydrated. I actually pretty much have to force Mel to drink two bottles of gatorade a day.

I'm trying to teach her the cardinal rule of hydration "If you don't gotta piss, you gotta drink"; but it just doesnt seem to be sticking.

My long term solution to this problem? Powdered drink mixes (gatorade, fruit punch, and iced tea) and a water service.

I've just signed on with O Premium waters, because they offer an electrolyte added water that's distilled and reverse osmosis filtered ("spring" water sucks unless you are looking for a specific mineral flavor. It's no good for coffee either), and an all the water you can drink plan for the same price as all the others 30 gallon plan. Better, you own your own water cooler, AND get maintenance and replacement as long as you have service with them. All in all not a bad deal, and I hope it will encourage my loved ones to stop dehydrating themselves."


A few hours ago we got our second water delivery. The verdict? We've used 55 gallon in three and a half weeks, we're all much better hydrated, our coffee and tea are a lot better, and we've bought almost no soda in the last month.

Now considering we're a family that usually buys two 2 liters a day; that's a pretty big change. Since the service is a bit under $40, and we're not spending $3 a day on soda; I'll call that a bargain any day.

Also cutting lots of sugar and/or nutrasweet out of our diet doesnt hurt either.

Oh and the fact that I've got 55 gallons of perfectly purified drinking water (with added electrolytes) is an added bonus; to accompany the months worth of canned and dry food we've got, and the fair bit of ammo. Now I just need a generator.