Thursday, July 28, 2005

Having a good day

NOTE: Light blogging to continue til tomorrow.. and I guess through the weekend from general habit...

Well, it's official; my best friend is moving down here. He and his girlfriend are out putting a depost down on an apartment about a mile from here right now. Their move in date is the first week in September.

I'll be posting some "Me and Jim" stories soon, but suffice it to say this man is closer to me than my brother. I love him as my family, as do my mother and brother. I want him to be my best man when I marry again (he missed the first one), and he wants the same for me.

There arent many people in your life you can say you would kill or die for, he's one of them.

Not only am I getting my friend in close proximity, but it's getting him the HELL out of New Jersey, which has been not-so-slowly killing him for the last four years. He's miserable as hell up ther (who wouldn't be).

So obviously this makes me VERY HAPPY.

We played in a three seating poker tournament last night, where I came in 26th of 62 (Jim was 25th), 2nd of 16 (Jim was 6th), and 22nd of 56...

In the first seating I was about to take down a 15k pot, which would have put me in comfortably in the chip lead...

Before I turned my cards over, I said "I've got the straight"; and she only had ace high, and tossed them in.

Only the entire table had mis-read the hand, including me...

See we all thought I had the high straight, and the last caller tossed her hand in face up... Only I DIDN'T have the straight. Yup, we'd all missed that I missed one card.

Now heres where things get tricky...

She had tossed her cards in, but she didnt say fold, they were face up, hadnt touched any other cards, and no-one else had touched them. Technically that's not a fold, but once someone tosses them in it can go either way. In tournament play that would generally have been considered a fold.

One of the other players says "hey, wait a sec... he missed it", and everybody took a double take...

So if I was a bastard, I could have forced the fold and taken down the pot, which would have given me something like 3/4 of the chips on the table; but it was a free game (prize was a poker tabletop) so I just let it go.

I mean, if you cant be a good sport in a free game; what the hell are you?

Anyway we're heading up to one of the local lakes and were' hittin a pontoon boat for the afternoon. Beer, and floating around, playing poker, eatin a picnic...

Good times.