Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Literalism and inaction

Theres an interesting discussion going on in some of my comment threads about how Mohammad, and the Koran say things that are innaccurate, untrue, unjust, or insane...

Honestly, and I know this is going to piss off some of my readers (because they are among those of whom I am about to speak), I think koranic, AND biblical (and torah and talmudic) literalists are all completely shithouse nuts.

Nahhh, thats not exactly true. The definition of faith is a belief in that which has no provable or rational basis; and I have faith in some things; but not in a translation of a translation of a translation, of something that somebody wrote down about what some guys said about some other guy 80-300 years after he died, about 2000 years ago...

But hey, if it works for you fine; so long as you dont knock on my door at 6am on a weekend (I WILL come to the door with a shotgun); or try and kill, maim, or otherwise harm those who don't believe as you do.

A significant, vocal, and active minority of muslims fall into that last category; and a significant, silent, and inactive majority are doing nothing about it.

That kind of pisses me off...

UPDATE: Maybe y'all should know a bit mroe about my religious thoughts and affiliations. It's all in my essay "Faith, Belief, and Ideas"