Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Jimmy Doohan...




James Doohan died today

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor James Doohan, best known as the feisty, Scottish-accented chief engineer on television's original "Star Trek" series -- a role immortalized by the catch phrase "Beam me up, Scotty" -- died on Wednesday at age 85, his manager said.

Doohan died at his home in the Seattle suburb of Redmond, Washington, of complications from pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, about a year after he was diagnosed with the degenerative neurological illness, manager Steve Stevens said in an interview.

You know, I could say something silly like "Scotty was beamed up one last time" or some such bullshit, but this really is sad to me.

Yeah yeah I never knew the man, how can he have any impact on my life etc...

Well first, I did meet him at a few events, and he was a very fine gentleman in my own limited experience, and in all reports i have ever heard. He appreciated the fans who loved him.

But more importantly, Scotty was the first "hero engineer" most of us were exposed to. The miracle wworker... A characterization that I can't imagine anyone else delivering, scotty was both an element of humor, and of reassurance in the star trek universe.

I think my absolute favorite scotty moments came in Star Trek IV. I mean he had just about the best line of the movie with "Keyboard... How quaint"

It's funny, but its the anniversary of Apollo 11 today. I think that Jimmy would have liked that.