Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Another Year, Another Yeargh!

Another eccentric orbit of the third planetary mass out from Sol has completed since the day of my natality (actually the two days, it took 48 hours for me to pop out, as my mother will frequently remoind); without my expiration.

Yup, today is my birthday. Yay me.

Aren't adult birthdays pretty much non-events? At least they always have been for me. I see all the TV shows and movies where they make a HUGE deal out of birthdays and it just doesnt fit with my life, or most of my friends either.

I don't really celebrate my birthdays. It's not that I don't like them or anything; It's that most of my birthdays since I was 13 have been REALLY SHITTY. Either that, or I've been really busy with other things, and I jsut didnt have the time or energy etc...

I don't know why, it just seems like bad shit happens to me on or around my birthday, and it leaves a bad taste or something. So I'm usually looking over my shoulder a lot today.

I've only had two parties in the last 15 years; one in the AF (any excuse for a party, believe me) and one thrown by my now ex wife; and both were fun but nothing major.

Usually the only gifts I recieve are nominal amounts of cash, though the occaisonal book, CD, DVD or video game has come into play; and when I was married my wife got me a few kinda cool things. My amazon wish list has played a significant role in my birthdays for some time as well; which reminds me I need to update it one of these days.

My former girlfriend Antje was good with birthdays and holidays too. One year when I was working in Manhattan she got me the helicopter tour of new york for christmas (which happened to ber HER birthday as well; or actually christmas eve).

Today will be no different. I used to have a bunch of friends in the area; but just about everyone has moved away 'cept John O'c; the consequence of college friends, eventually they move away from the college; and of tech friends, eventually they move where they get better jobs.

Actually that's an intresting one to consdier; maintaining close friendships in our highly mobile society. I've been best friends with Jim since we were 7 years old. There have been times when we havent seen each other for three years at a time; or called each ther for months; but it's never had the slightest effect on our friendship. I haven't seen my friend Mike B. for 8 years, but we still talk online all the time, and we're still great friends. He's asked me to be his best man 4 times, though none of the engagements ever made it to the altar yet (Mike is a hopeless romantic, but not a great judge of women, complicated by the fact that he's a mormon; I love him anyway though).

There are other friends I have who I haven't seen or heard from in years, but I KNOW that when I do again, it will be like we never parted.

Others, I'm sure will barely remember who I am.

Anyway it's jsut somethign interesting to think about.

So what I was rambling on about was that I probably wont do anything tonight. I'm going to go see my mom after work; but my brother will already be at work (he's a line cook at a Fridays; hates the job. He's an honest to god sous chef, but he can'[t find a decent gig), so I wont get to see him. I don't think I've even mentioned my birthday to John -- maybe a few weeks ago I said something, and I may have mentioned it chatting online; although he reads this page so he knows now -- Hi John; not that I didn't want him to know, it's jsut not a big deal.

I think the only thing I'm going to do myself to celebrate is head down to my gun club for my free machine gun rental. Its been a few months since I've been able to do any rock and roll.

See, though my club CAN be a pain in the ass; it has some benefits.

So I say again, yeah verily; happy birthday to me. Here's to another year of not dying.