Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Rockstar Supernova - Bitchin

So we open with the catfight from the reality episode, and that pretty much set the tone for the night.

Seems like the rockers are getting a lot more serious about this; thank frikken god.

The Reviews:

Patrice Pike - The Beatles, "Helter Skelter": She did a great job, but I didn't like it. Is that fair? She sang well, though there was a bit too much sneer in her tone, and in her upper lip. She had a great smile on her face the whole time, maybe not so rockin, but well done... Comfortable, into it, relaxed, professional... I just didn't like it that much. It sounded too smoothe, too polished, not raw or screamy like it should be.

Josh Logan - Nirvana, "Come As You Are": Come, here me choke, my nasal voice, as I ruin this song. Come, kill me now, put you out, of my misery. And I swear that I wish I had a gun, yeah I swear that I wish I had a gun, yeah wear that I want to kill this moron, my memory ummm needs to be wiped of this shit. I HOPE he's bottom three, but I think the american idol girlies like him too much.

Storm Large - The Cars, "Just What I Needed": Kick ass tune, cool arrangement, kinda Blink 182, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. She's super hot but her wardrobe.. no. Also masturbating and humping the mike stand... no. Didnt like her performance at all. Quote from JohnOC watching with us "Is this a rock song or a pole dance?". Cool, professional, great vocal power. "Six letters, google", yeah check those pics out. Definitely safe (though not work safe at all).

Lukas Rossi - Rolling Stones, "Let's Spend the Night Together":Uhhhh, okay. He pulls a stones tune, and does a great job on the performance... he's REALLY got the balls and swagger. The problem is, he can't sing the damn song. I mean Mick Jagger is dramatic, but this exceeds Freddie Mercury levels of drama (vocally speaking). Note to rockers, only Freddie Mercury can pull off that level of drama, and he's dead.

Jill Gioia- Free, "All Right Now": Great, competent, gutsy singing. She started off a little wooden on stage, but she got into it real good. Got the balls into it. She has amazing power for such little lungs. Lotta soul and scream for a white girl.

Ryan Star - Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Fortunate Son": Still too slow and too low, but he rocked it. I think maybe he was pushing too hard though. He didnt have fun with it, he looked like he was in pain. The song is supposed to be a satire, not quite so angry. Also felt kinda fake... Not bad, safe, but not what I wanted to hear.

Phil Ritchie - Jefferson Airplane, "White Rabbit": What the fuck is he doing to that song. GOD HE SUCKS HARD. He DID go out and crush it, and Jason on the Bass didn't hurt, but HE CAN'T NOT SING LIKE AMERICAN FUCKING IDOL. Yeah, it was better, but I want to hear some damn rock and roll.

Dana Andrews - Bon Jovi, "It's My Life": Love the song, again professional, she's got the voice for it... not quite the right energy. A little bit of key in the refrain. She's having an off night. A bit stiff in the performance. Still too country, but not bad. She was forcing it a bit, and her voice broke a couple times. She might end up in the bottom for this one.

Toby Rand - Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train": He can sing, though it was a little flat and pinched in some areas, but he was using entirely the wrong voice for the song. He performed THAT song, much more like it was a harder rock tune, not like the sweet emotional sad song it was. Safe, but not great.

Magni Asgiersson - Stone Temple Pilots, "Plush": Good, not great. Not enough growl, not quite enough bottom. Needed more energy. Good, but not great. He needs to kick more ass on this tune. Move around, get some energy, get the gut goin... He can do MUCH better.

Zayra Alvarez - REM, "Everybody Hurts": Interesting arrangement. I dunno if I like it or not honestly. She didnt do a BAD job, but she was too PJ Harvey here, and not enough gutbucket. She really does have a good voice when she uses it, but that wasn't rock and roll. I think she'll still be bottom three, but it wasn't bad at all. Not right for the band, but I think she can be taught.

Jenny Galt - Incubus, "Drive": Nope. Hiding behind the guitar again. Way too much chickrock. Sad and waily. Gilby said ti best, "Lilith Fair". Maybe bottom three here, maybe not.

Dilana - The Cranberries, "Zombie": I thought she was going to blow it; but she has just enough sweetness for it, and more than enough scream. Maybe too much in the refrain, but cool. Much better fashion choices this time, though that's not saying much. Honestly, she just about nailed it.

Okay so my picks for bottom three are Zayra, Josh, and Phil, but I think maybe the teenage girls of America are going to disagree with me, and go with Zayra, Jenny, and Dana.

Honestly, there were no real outstanding performances except maybe Dilana, and no-one stuck out as particularly bad, except that I REALLLLLLY hate the way Phil and Josh sing.