Friday, August 25, 2006

Just one of those days

Actually it started out fine. It was a good, relatively quiet day at work; and then we got to drop the kids off at Grandmas for the first time in a month.

Mel and I have been SERIOUSLY looking forward to this weekend. We desperately need some alone time here.

Anyway, we drove together to grandmas 80-some miles away, dropped the kids off uneventfully, but I started feeling a little twinge in my back.

No particular reason why I can discern, I didn't lift anything heavy, 'cept the girls...

Anyway, we had to a new restaurant on the way home from Grandmas (pretty good food, and decent live music, for a reasonable price), and the twinge is getting worse. By the time we actually finish dinner, I'm getting some genuine pain; but not enough to slow me down too much.

We were going to hit the movies on the way home, but by the time we got into the neighborhood of the theater (about 25 minutes from the restaurant) my back is in full blown spasm mode. It fells like I pulled my right latissimus and trapezius. I have no idea how I might have pulled them, but they are both definitely swollen and stiff.

Now I dunno if you've ever pulled those particular muscles in your back; but every time you move, every time you breathe, everything you do, it involves those two muscles.

Now, I'm pretty good at ignoring ad controlling pain, but in order for that to work, the pain has to be relatively steady. A sharp stabbing in the middle of the back every time you breathe too deep, or move slightly wrong does not qualify.

If it werent for the wonder of Naproxen Sodium (I go through a 220mg 400ct. bulk bottle every two weeks to a month. I take them 1-2 grams at a time. Basically I take 8-10 when I wake up, and that lets me actually get up and walk around without screaming ) I would pretty much be whimpering right now.

The GOOD news, is that it doesnt feel like a bad pull or a sprain, so if I can manage to sleep tonight, and not aggravate my back (something of a feat), then I should be OK for "us time" tomorrow.

Let me jsut say "OOOOOOOWWWWWW"