Wednesday, February 23, 2005

I love my job, but I hate my business



After quite a few years of going through situations like this, I just started refusing. I wont take gigs anymore where I have to compromise on my integrity or my principles. It's just not worth it.

I refuse to do a half-ass job, even if it's what a client wants, because it reflects badly on ME. I always do my best to keep a client happy, but I have a little code of ethics.

1. Never do anything illegal for a client
2. Never do anything that compromises your morals, or ethics, or makes you feel uncomforatble. NEVER do anything dishonorable.
3. Never do a half-ass job
4. Never recommend a solution that is more to my advantage than the clients
5. Never try and do anything I can't do (which is not to say stuff I haven't done, theres a big difference). Thats what other experts are for.

I'm a lot happier with this, but I make less money. Thats a pretty good tradeoff as far as I'm concerned